Re: Memory requirements, 3GB cache

From: Stephen R. van den Berg <srb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 18:28:13 +0200

"Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map@iphil.net> wrote:
>Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:
>> Is any of you running squid on a 3GB or larger cache?
>> I'm currently performing an in-site conversion from a 3GB Spinner proxy
>> cache to a Squid proxy cache (on the same partition).

>I believe it would also depend on your link's speed... on 64 Kbps,
>4 GB disk, 64 MB RAM and FreeBSD 2.1/Pentium 133 have worked out fine
>over here.

I don't really see where the link speed comes into it. It only puts
a limit on the number of concurrent sessions and the temporary RAM
storage needed to support those.

But, I'm not particularly concerned about the mem_cache (set that to
1MB, and no doubt, it will exceed that temporarily when large files
are transferred, but the excess memory can easily be swapped out (low
frequency access rate)).
I'm more concerned about the swap_cache and all it's associated memory
overhead. A cursory inspection in the StoreEntry struct has already
revealed that way too much information is being kept online.

--
Sincerely,                                                          srb@cuci.nl
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).