Re: Memory requirements, 3GB cache

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 17:46:51 +0000

On Fri 26 Jul, 1996, Duane Wessels <wessels@nlanr.net> wrote:
>srb@cuci.nl writes:
>>Is any of you running squid on a 3GB or larger cache?
>>I'm currently performing an in-site conversion from a 3GB Spinner proxy
>>cache to a Squid proxy cache (on the same partition).

well, i've been testing with 34GB of disk, but that is only testing.
Mainly trying to get a feel for the best combination of stripes/multiple
cache directories. The striping is winning, and with the modifications
for cache dir structure in 1.1 would be better yet.

we're still not decided as to the best number of asynchronous i/o
threads to be running - but things were truly awful with 512 threads
(this is a uniprocessor machine though). I'd appreciate people's experiences
of such things, if anyone has any.

>>What happens if Squid has to swap? Are the access patterns
>>"civilized"? Or will it thrash badly?
>
>Probably the latter.

definitely. Once it starts trying to swap it becomes pretty awful.

-- jrg.