Re: Memory requirements, 3GB cache

From: Ong Beng Hui <ongbh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 09:41:22 +0800 (SST)

> btw, your production machine is (3|4|5)0 GB big and only 3 disks?
> each disk must be 9GB huge. RAID0 won't like these beasts, it
> prefers many small ones.

You might have mistaken me. We strip 3 disks with 2 SCSI
channels into one disk set. But in the machine itself,
we have a dozen drives, and couples of disk sets.

The I/O characteristics of Harvest (Squid ?) seems
to be read random and write sequential. I am not too
sure how a single drive approach might work out for
Harvest. A single drive approach might not have the
amount of disk bandwidth as of stripping, but it
does offer the extra head space, which might be useful
for the Read Random characteristics.

How you guys organize your disks over there ?

*8)
Ong Beng Hui
ongbh@singnet.com.sg
...Yet Another Day in a ISP Business