problems proxying Altavista (was: Re: cache-proof?)

From: Andreas Strotmann <Strotmann@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:37:28 +0200

Hi!

> has this got anything to do with the fact that home.netscape.com and
> altavista are NOT viewable through my squid (1.0.3 right now)? or is it
> something wrong with my setup?

I bet you're running your cache on a SUN running Solaris, connected to the
Internet via an FDDI interface. That's the common denominator we found
for those machines that have this problem (our proxy, our WWW server, the
Bonn university proxy, a machine at DKRZ.de).

We're still looking for others who have this problem. It's been submitted
to SUN who unfortunately have not been able to reproduce it (status:
Thursday). The problem id is 5436646 .

Workaround: use a parent that doesn't have that problem specifically for
processing Altavista requests.

Regards, Andreas

PS: please tell me your setup!

--
Andreas Strotmann       / ~~~~~~ \________________A.Strotmann@Uni-Koeln.DE
Universitaet zu Koeln  /| University of Cologne   \