Re: problems proxying Altavista

From: Pete Philips <pete@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:40:21 +0100 (BST)

> > has this got anything to do with the fact that home.netscape.com and
> > altavista are NOT viewable through my squid (1.0.3 right now)? or is it
> > something wrong with my setup?
> >
> I bet you're running your cache on a SUN running Solaris, connected to the
> Internet via an FDDI interface. That's the common denominator we found
> for those machines that have this problem (our proxy, our WWW server, the
> Bonn university proxy, a machine at DKRZ.de).
>
> We're still looking for others who have this problem. It's been submitted
> to SUN who unfortunately have not been able to reproduce it (status:
> Thursday). The problem id is 5436646 .

Mmmm sounds like a problem I had sometime back under just the conditions
you mention above. My solution was to reduce the MTU size (using ifconfig)
on the FDDI interface. The default is 4352 but if you reduce it to
1500, it should solve the problem :-)

Pete

| Pete Philips, Network Security @ Netcom UK \|/ |
| E-mail: pete@corp.netcom.net.uk O |