Re: Logfile compression

From: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 14:46:40 +0100

At 14:03 09/08/96 +0400, Igor Vinokurov wrote:
>> Duane,
>>
>> I was wondering if it would be possible to have a logfile_compress tag
>> that specified the program Squid would use to compress rotated logfiles
>> when used with logfile_rotate?
>
> BTW, Duane, can I remove/rename log files when squid is running?

My name isn't Duane, but who cares, we're not all perfect ;-). Read the
release notes in the doc directory and you will see about rotating the logs
with kill -USR1. This will close the logs, rename them by adding a .0 (or .1
.2 depending on existing files and squid.conf), and open some new ones. Try
it, its fun!

You can do what you want with the ones with a numerical suffix. You asked
for the logs in the first place!

Doing things with open log files could do any of achieve nothing, crash
squid, or prevent new logs being written, or do as you want, as the symptoms
probably vary between OS's. (Linux does the former, I don't know about
anything else).

Jonathan L.
Origin UK, 323 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, England. CB4 4WG.
Tel: +44 (1223) 423355 Fax: +44 (1223) 420724 E-mail: guess...
-------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]------
These opinions are all my own fault.