Re: Logfile compression

From: Ong Beng Hui <ongbh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 23:04:50 +0800 (SST)

> I was wondering if it would be possible to have a logfile_compress tag
> that specified the program Squid would use to compress rotated logfiles
> when used with logfile_rotate?

> What does everyone else think?

Personally, I don't see a need for such a tag.

I don't see a need for the log file rotate tag
either. I felt that it will be nice simply to
have a signal that reload/reopen the log file
will be good enough. And there is, HUP!

A script can be fired up by cron to rotate the
log and compress them if neccessary.

My "rotate" script here actually,
1) rename the log file
2) reload with HUP signal
3) process the old log file to generate report
4) plot graph based on report
5) send part of report as e-mail
6) compress the log
7) move the compressed log to another directory for backup.

*8)
Ong Beng Hui
ongbh@singnet.com.sg
...yet another day in an ISP business