Re: Logfile compression

From: Andreas Strotmann <Strotmann@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 17:24:11 +0200

On Aug 9, 17:17, Ingo Luetkebohle wrote:
> Subject: Re: Logfile compression
> Pete Philips wrote:
> > I was wondering if it would be possible to have a logfile_compress tag
> > that specified the program Squid would use to compress rotated
logfiles
> > when used with logfile_rotate?
>
> Well, and then we want a logfile stripper (stripping down old logfiles
> to errors or the like) and a logfile converter and a logfile backuper...
>
> Got my drift? Better make it generic and allow a logfile_rotate tag to
> give a program for rotating logfiles. Your tag even allows this (well,
> kind of).

Still, what really _would_ be useful is to have the log files compressed
while they are written! That would require an entry in the configuration
procedure for compilation rather than a tag in the squid.conf file,
though.

Andreas

--
Andreas Strotmann       / ~~~~~~ \________________A.Strotmann@Uni-Koeln.DE
Universitaet zu Koeln  /| University of Cologne   \