Re: Q: How many users can squid handle?

From: Peter Childs <pjchilds@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 13:30:23 +0930 (CST)

In article <4uifaj$e8l@al.imforei.apana.org.au> you wrote:

: We're planning on setting up a campus-wide proxy/cache server to help
: reduce our T1 congestion. I've tested squid for a few months with
: only a few users and it has worked really well. Is anyone using squid
: for thousands of users? Can it handle the load?

: The system we're going to purchase will be a Sun Ultra 140 with lots
: of memory, SunSwift board for 100Mbps ethernet and fast-wide SCSI, and
: several gig of disk.

 Lots and lots :) Same as running a newsserver i'd be trying to
 spread out the load over several disks.

 Squid is designed with a hierachy system in mind, so it might pay
 to look at also throwing in some cheapish FreeBSD boxes in each
 department feeding into your master server. This way you
 cut back on the load on your main cache, improve performance
 for end users, and reduce local network traffic to.

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
  Finger pjchilds@al.imforei.apana.org.au for public PGP key