Re: Transparent Proxying (Was: Re: Q: How many users can squid handle?)

From: Peter Childs <pjchilds@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 01:52:41 +0930 (CST)

In article <4uk97m$4fk@al.imforei.apana.org.au> you wrote:

: Ong Beng Hui wrote:
: > We have a number of leased line customers but it will
: > be pretty tough to convince them on the performance
: > improvement with cache. Web Caching is still pretty
: > new.

: We solved that problem by transparent proxying. Its a switch in the
: Linux kernel (dunno if other os's support it) that lets you reroute
: packets for certain ports. So: Everything destined for port 80 -> proxy.

 We solved this too.. you just firewall all outgoing requests for port
 80 and soon everyone is using the proxy/cache!

 Seriously.. setting up a "autoconfig" script for netscape also
 makes a big difference.. then end users can just fire up
 netscape and away...

 We have hack DNS entries in our network so that the autoconfig
 option is "proxy/proxy.pac" and depending on where the client
 connects to depends on the machine that DNS identifies as
 "proxy.our.domain" and hence the local cache they connect
 to.

 We also have a script that takes all the ftp'd items from the
 cache objects list and add's them to our database of locally
 available ftp files... All these things save bandwidth :)

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
  Finger pjchilds@al.imforei.apana.org.au for public PGP key