cache manager access

From: Richard Hall <hall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 18:09:37 -0400 (EDT)

I'm having trouble understanding the format of acl commands. The default
configuration file, with "http_access deny manager !localhost" made the
manager inaccessible from anywhere, so I defined a new aclname thus:

acl ns srcdomain .ns.utk.edu .cs.utk.edu
http_access deny manager !ns

I thought that this would make the manager accessible to clients from the
two domains specified, but it actually made it accessible from every
domain I have been able to test. I also tried

acl ns srcdomain ns.utk.edu cs.utk.edu (no leading dots)

but I can still access the manager functions from outside these domains.
I don't understand the format of the http_access statement, as "manager"
seems to take the role of an object, while "!ns" takes the role of a
specifier. No such roles are given in the format description.

I have enabled fqdn_log as per the Release Notes.

So how should I accomplish what I am trying to do? Thanks.

Richard Hall
U of Tennessee

PS point your browser to http://cache.ns.utk.edu/cgi-bin/cachemgr.cgi and
tell me whether you can execute the functions.