Re: Ranting on ipcache bogosity

From: Eric Wieling <ewieling@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 08:29:37 -0500 (CDT)

Perhaps if ipcache stored all the addresses for a host and return
them all to Squid when asked, perhaps using the same method as BIND.

Then Squid could try all the IP addresses returned by ipcache. This
would still not fix the "black hole" problem, but I suspect that's a
more general problem with the host than an implementation problems
with Squid.

I must say that while Squid does have a few problems, it's far, far
ahead of any other cache software that I've seen.

--Eric

Some time ago Chris Fedde said:

> The Problem:
>
> With positive_dns_ttl set to zero squid exhibits a behavior which
> is confusing for multi-server sites with inconsistent failure modes.
> The behavior with positive_dns_ttl set to non zero is much worse so I
> will not even go into that (see the ps below).

[snip]

--
Eric Wieling
Advanced Network Research