Re: Ranting on ipcache bogosity

From: Duane Wessels <wessels>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 96 07:54:12 -0700

oskar@is.co.za writes:

>Eric Wieling wrote:
>
>(Hi Duane - Are we off on a tangent? Should I take a long hard look at the
>source? Should I just bugger off? ;)

There seems to be some misconceptions around, let me try to clear
things up a little.

The dnsservers do not cache addresses. They are simply loops around
gethostbyname() and now also gethostbyaddr() for v1.1.

The IP caching occurs in the squid process. The IP cache is hashed
by hostname. Web objects are hashed by URLs and is very separate.
One important reason for the IP cache is just that Squid ends up
looking up the IP address numerous times for one request.

In my opinion there are two things which need to be fixed in
the IP cache. We need to rotate through all addresses for a host.
This should only occur after a connect() call. We need to disable
an IP address if a connect() fails.

If somebody wants to write a new dnsserver which uses res_query()
instead of gethostbyname() please do. Then we could pass back the real
TTL info from the DNS.

Duane W.

.

>> > It seems that squid would store the files with an algorithm based on
>> > the IP address?
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> --
>> Eric Wieling
>> Advanced Network Research
>> InterCommerce Corporation
>> Pager: 800-758-3680
>>
>> The world needs no help seeing a fool for what they are.

Duane W.