Re: Ranting on ipcache bogosity

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 96 10:01:37 +0200

On Wednesday 21 August 96, at 7 h 54, the keyboard of Duane Wessels
<wessels@nlanr.net> wrote:

> If somebody wants to write a new dnsserver which uses res_query()
> instead of gethostbyname() please do. Then we could pass back the real
> TTL info from the DNS.

Yes, but this would introduce another problem: on many machines the
administrator wants to control what directory systemes are used. This is
typically done through a file (host.conf on Linux, svc.conf on OSF/1,
nsswitch.conf on Solaris) which lists what directories (hosts file, DNS,
NIS, X500, etc) should be used by resolving routines like gethostbyname
and in which order. If you call directly the DNS, you lose that.