Re: Ranting on ipcache bogosity

From: Edward Henigin <ed@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 13:27:40 -0500 (CDT)

        small followup:

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Chris Fedde wrote:
  [....]
> It is my belief that squid should always go through the dnsserver
> for address resolution. It should not cache this information
> internally for re-use in subsequent sessions since it has no
> knowledge of the mechanisms used by that back-end. [....]

        I wanted to relate this specifically to the people
who have a satellite link, and not uncommonly have ~2 second
DNS lookup times over their Internet link.

        I agree with Chris that squid should not re-create the
work done by the existing DNS systems. In the case like the
above, with high-latency links, the real solution is to set
up a caching-only dns server on the local side of the satellite link.
This will help any and all applications which use DNS, not just
squid. This solution has been designed, implemented, and tested
for these situations. etc etc etc.

        Ed