Re: Ranting on ipcache bogosity

From: Duane Wessels <wessels>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 96 11:47:42 -0700

cfedde@keota.uswmedia.com writes:

>It is my belief that squid should always go through the dnsserver
>for address resolution. It should not cache this information
>internally for re-use in subsequent sessions since it has no
>knowledge of the mechanisms used by that back-end. In this way
>squid takes advantage of all the thinking and design of the directory
>service regardless of what service is in place.

Would you be happy (happier?) if I added a command line option to flush
the IP cache entry after a sucessfull connect()?

I was just remembering when I worked on the Harvest gatherer code...
We received a bug report from someone that the gatherer ran for a while
and then starting reporting "no more filedescriptors" endlessly. So we
furiously went through the code, added lots of debugging, and could not
reproduce the problem. Turns out that his SGI (beta OS?) had a buggy
resolver implementation which essentially re-opened /dev/udp for every
call to gethostbyname().

Duane W.