Re: Ranting on ipcache bogosity

From: Chris Fedde <cfedde@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 16:34:00 -0600

In message <199608221847.LAA31527@nlanr.net> Duane Wessels writes:
>cfedde@keota.uswmedia.com writes:
>
>>squid takes advantage of all the thinking and design of the directory
>>service regardless of what service is in place.
>
>Would you be happy (happier?) if I added a command line option to flush
>the IP cache entry after a sucessfull connect()?

That might be sufficiant. I'm not sure what you mean though. How
would this be different than simply setting positive_dns_ttl to
zero and fixing the connection setup process?

It seems to me that squid does not do what was intended. Applications
like telnet, ftp, netscape and most others try each address in the
returned set in sequence till conection is established or the
address set is exhusted. Squid does not seem to do this. Instaid
it returns a failed status to the client when the first address
connect attempt fails. I have not seen any hint of a fix for this
in the release notes yet. Neither have I acheived a good understanding
of thread management in squid so that I may submit a patch myself.
It looks like all the parts are there though.

chris