Re: Squid Access Controls

From: Andrew Kemp <andrew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 17:15:12 +1000 (GMT+1000)

Greetings David,

> >> Thanks very much. This worked a treat. I assume that to knock off a
> >> subnet, it is 255.255.255.0 ?
> >>
> >> I will try this after close of business today but thanks again.
>
> Yep.
>
> btw, I find CIDR-style addresses more compact when you have a long list...ie
> 136.186.71.243/32. The "32" means the first 32 bits count (ie, all of
> it)...to designate a subnet, put /24 (the first 3 bytes are significant)
> and so on.

Thanks again. That worked perfectly. Thanks also for the CIDR information.

I know that some admins out there thinks this is 'censorship' and I couldn't
agree more. However, my University's Open Day is this Sunday and the last
thing we want it potential students or other minors bringing up
pornographic sites on the web for their parents to see.

The actual restricting of access has been passed up to the University's
Vice-Chancellor for resolution.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Andrew Kemp

Unix Systems Administrator Phone : 61 +3 9214-8252
Computer Services and Information Techology Fax : 61 +3 9214-8944
Swinburne University of Technology E-Mail: andrew@swin.EDU.AU
Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia 3122 URL: http://opax.swin.edu.au/andrew