Re: Can I do thsi with squid ?

From: John Saunders <johns@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 13:55:46 +1000 (EST)

Rather than add this to squid. I think it would be better to have another
program that takes a list or URLs and fetches them, through squid, during
slow periods. This other program could be run from cron. This way the
squid cache would get pre-loaded by this other program. Thinking about it,
it wouldn't be hard to program. Open a socket to the proxy port and write
a GET request passing the URL from the list. Then any data that gets read
is dumped into the bit bucket. If you wanted to get fancy you can make the
program scan the returned HTML document and fetch any referenced documents
or images that are local to that server (limited to a maximum depth
otherwise it could get interesting :-). But to simplify things you could
just scan all the URL's you need from the access log file.

One question. What is squid's rules about when expiry and things. I know
CERN had a limit up to which it simply returned the document. Above that
limit, but below the upper limit, it would issue a Get If Modified. Then
above the upper limit it would simply GET the document.

I'm just wondering if squid always issues a Get If Modified no matter how
old the document is. Meaning pre-loading the cache would have little
affect as the G-If-M is always sent.

Cheers.

On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Mario de Mello Bittencourt Neto wrote:

> Hi all, I have beeing using squid for a while and I would like to know if
> I can do this with it, or perhaps add an entry to a wish list.
> I have ssen a lot of programs that allow you to browse off-line
> (freeloader,webcopy,...) and I would like to do the same and take
> advantage of squid. I have found that Netscape, Disney, microsoft sites
> are accessed every day (with other sites) so I would like to program
> (using this "new" feature) squid to automatically "download" or access and
> store in tis cache such sites during low traffic periods...I know that the
> first person that access the site will store the info in the cache, but
> sometimes even this is slow.

        . | John Saunders - John.Saunders@scitec.com.au (Work) |
    ,--_|\ | - john@nlc.net.au (Home) |
   / Oz \ | - http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/ |
   \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED - Phone +61 2 9428 9563 - Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
         v | "Alcatraz triathalon: dig, swim, run" |