Re: FreeBSD malloc.c, -lmalloc, and squid.

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 09:27:36 +0200

In message <199608280329.MAA10965@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, Michael Smith
 writes:
>Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
>> >
>> > You can do it system wide:
>> > ln -s 'H<<' /etc/default/malloc
>>
>> Aieee! Another file in /etc! sysctl! sysctl! :-)
>
>Time to take Terry up on his logicals concept. Anyone familiar enough with
>the way that VMS handles/d these willing to talk for a while on it? I
>seem to recall that you could create logicals on a system-wide basis as
>well as per-session (or was that per-user?)
>
>There should be a way to integrate this with sysctl so that what are
>currently sysctl variables become system-wide logicals with little or
>no effective change, but the concept is extended to per-process group
>(kinda like the environment), or summat similar.

It's on it's way, I have a prototype "registry" on it's way, that would
search, in order: process, session, uid, system trees for the variable.

For now just live with the hack ok ? I havn't even committed this
change to malloc, it's just for testing, OK ???

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.