Re-assigning UDP priorities during GCs?

From: Andreas Strotmann <Strotmann@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 11:53:25 +0200

Hi all,

during a garbage collection(GC), the throughput of our system effectively
halves from the point of view of our users.

Since our system is processing as many ICP requests as it processes TCP
requests, and since effectively no ICP requests are issued by or on behalf
of our users, I was wondering if maybe I could reduce the load on our
system during GC by reducing the ICP traffic during that time.

At the very least, I'd like to be able to turn off UDP_HIT_OBJ answers and
add an artificial (say) 200 msec delay to all UDP answers during GC time
because it's accessing the disk that I need to avoid then. Because all my
neighbors have other neighbors, some of whom will probably have the same
object as my cache and will return a UDP_HIT_OBJ answer, the effect would
hopefully be to have my cache used only if necessary during that time,
reducing ICP- and neighbor-related disk activity considerably.

Any thoughts on having configurable options like that?

Regards,

Andreas

--
Andreas Strotmann       / ~~~~~~ \________________A.Strotmann@Uni-Koeln.DE
Universitaet zu Koeln  /| University of Cologne   \