Re: Statistics for access times

From: Benarson Behajaina R. <Benarson.Behajaina@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 20:18:17 +0200 (MET DST)

Andrew Richards wrote :

> Hi all,
>
> The time has come for us to throw out our Netscape Proxy Server in
> favour of Squid, the latter appearing to be more resilient to parent-cache
> unavailability (Netscape just gives up rather than trying to reach the host
> directly and I can't be bothered to work out how to hack it to do the job
> properly). And Squid allows multiple parents and neighbours and huge
> cache areas. Nice.

[ ... ]
> confused by the access.log file - I'm not sure what it all means,
> so if someone could point me in the right direction there, that
> would be useful - in particular, I assume the final field is the access
> time in milliseconds, but what about the next-to-last field, with terms
> like TCP_MISS, TCP_HIT, TCP_REFRESH - what do these mean?

from Release Notes-1.0.txt,v 1.1.2.11

Access Log Types :
TCP_HIT : A valid copy of the requested object was in the cache
TCP_MISS: The requested object was not in the cache
TCP_REFRESH: The user forced a refresh("Reload").

Can anybody explain the TCP_IFMODSINCE type or the
If-Modified-Since GET method ?
Sometimes, when the requested object is in the cache, the squid
access.log file shows TCP_IFMODSINCE instead of TCP_HIT.
What is the difference between TCP_HIT and TCP_IFMODSINCE ?

        Thanks,

        Benarson.