closing down access to a cache

From: George Michaelson <ggm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 15:56:07 +1000 (EST)

After open slather for a few months we've decided too many people outside
our customer group are using the cache both via ICP and just as direct
proxy calls. The off-core bandwidth is starting to cost us more than
the benefit of being *that* open.

I'll be doing a formal announcement on the ircache list shortly but I
wanted to ask other squid-o-philes what the costs were on the machine
of having large ACL lists. We have a LOT of downstream ISP's we'd need
to enable, so by large I mean probably around 30-40 clauses in the
permit/deny sequences with a final deny all.

Likewise, I am interested in knowing if other squids are using the
local-address stuff or like me rely on DNS names in URL being close
to viable for routing decisions. I found adding in local-address
seemed to increase the number of failing DNS events in logfiles and
the DNS lookup time blew up completely, over 5 secs in some cases.

(that was with 24 pre-forked DNS servers)

-George

--
George Michaelson         |  connect.com.au pty/ltd
Email: ggm@connect.com.au |  c/o AAPT,