Re: First questions

From: Tom Minchin <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 14:06:59 +1000 (EST)

> I have 2 questions for now, and in a short time some more will come up.
> Hope you all be patient... ;-)
>
> 1 - Where can I find complete documentation on squid? Does the harvest
> docs do any good to get started?

The complete documentation is included with the source (it's that big!).
I'm tempted to write a quick start HTML document since I've explained
how to set it up so many times (not that I'm claiming I know all, even
some of the features, enough to get you rolling anyway).

> 2 - How can any user force a reload to a document? Connecting a Web
> Explorer browser to a proxy running squid, and pressing the reload
> button, appears records like "TCP_HIT" in the access.log (assuming a
> cached document). But with Netscape for BSDI, the records are like
> "TCP_REFRESH". Why the different behaviour?

Web Explorer is broken, so is MSIE (2 and 3) in regards to reloading
via any proxy server. A REFRESH sends a 304 request to the original
site to check modification dates - providing the original site has
set them.

From memory, Netscape's reload isn't that strict either. A plain reload
will just recollect the objects from the proxy server (if available),
which the forced ("shift reload") does the full box n dice reload.

Tom
tom@iacom.com.au