Re: Squid slow during cleanup

From: Ong Beng Hui <ongbh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 17:57:01 +0800 (SST)

Hi Martin,

Your problem seems interesting...

Maybe because your users are on a high speed LAN than mine
which is mostly on low speed PPP serial line. You got pretty
impressive hardware too. :)

> When it gets into this state, the cache swap area grows faster than squid
> can clean it up, and the only solution we've been able to try is to delete

I would suggest...

> cache_mem 256
> cache_swap 15000
> cache_swap_low 75
> cache_swap_high 90 <--- tune this parameter
> cache_mem_low 75
> cache_mem_high 95 <--- tune this parameter too

When your cache swap reaches 90% (cache_swap_high),
it will start to trash your disk. At the rate of the
growth of the swap area, you need probably need to
reduce the "cache_swap_high" such that Cached can
start clearing up the disk eariler and such that
the growth rate of swap area will not be able to
catch up.

*8)
Ong Beng Hui
ongbh@singnet.com.sg