Re: All these "I want squid to cache xyz"

From: Nelson Posse Lago <listas2@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 22:32:06 -0300 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Robert Thomas wrote:

> I'm curious, doesn't Squid say, somewhere, that it's a WWW cache? Someone
> last week asked about realaudio and something else, now someone wants it
> to be a news cache as well.

     You're right; however, news is currently a *big* problem and there's
not yet a freeware (not even standard) way of improving bandwidth
usage/speed on news. I would like to see a nice little server that acts
as a "front-end" to several other "real" servers, while acting itself as
a real server for the most important groups the admin chooses to hold
*and* that is able to cache news articles that get read from the outside.

     This does not mean that Squid should do it, but I would like to see
this app. And since the nlanr is engaged in improving net bandwidth
usage/speed, it's not so weird to expect them to think of it (news
traffic is now around 1Gb/day). But I guess improving Squid regarding web
caching is already a very complex task...

See ya,
Nelson
lago@that.com.br