Re: Save 15% on your bandwidth...

From: Nelson Posse Lago <listas2@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 23:56:41 -0300 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:

> > You just better hope that Netscape & microsoft don't find out about
> > this... ;-)
> >
> > It is NOT legal to store their files/programs and then make them
> > available to others, don't forget that...
>
> To the least of my interpretation of mirror aplications at
> Netscape, they allow mirror sites, they just don't acknowledge them at
> their site (only educational mirrors).
> About microsoft, they say it's okay to distribute their software.
> I would say it is okay.

     No way!! You *cannot* mirror netscape software, period. The only
possible exception is if you are a educational institution and want
to mirror it to your students/staff, and you still need to ask them to do
so.
     As for Microsoft, you can distribute their software *if* you sign an
agreement with them, in which you *must* use explorer-enhancements on
your page *and* report to MS the number of copies you are giving away,
among other things.
     I guess it's obvious that caching them is ok, since this is just a
"speed-up" network "enhancement" (of course, good lawyers can make people
believe otherwise). The previously proposed method, however, is highly
questionable; I wouldn't do it. Why not just add a special rule in squid
so that netscape distributions get cached *much* longer? ;-)

> ps: See that I am talking about "shareware" (netscape) and freeware (microsoft).

    Netscape is *not* shareware and Explorer is *not* freeware, given the
limitations above.

see ya,
Nelson
lago@that.com.br