Re: Save 15% on your bandwidth...

From: Nelson Posse Lago <listas2@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:42:48 -0300 (EST)

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:

> However, it does not mean netscape is not a shareware software, yet I
> would not classify it as shareware as long as I cannot "freely"
> re-distribute it without profit purposes.

     I guess this is a matter for the purist, but I thought that
"shareware" had to do with "share", that is: the author benefits from
people "sharing" the software as the distribution method for his program.
But this isn't really relevant to this list.

> However, Microsoft is a totally different issue. They let anybody/copy
>their software anywhere (it can be distributed, copied, yet not reverse
>engineered). It has freeware status, for true. The point they make is
>that one can only classify itself as an official and qualified
>distributor (have their customization kit) if one sign a distribution
>agreement.

     I guess this is not relevant to this list also, but that's not my
understanding of their page. You can download and use it freely, but not
redistribute it without the agreement. You may want to contact Mauricio,
from Microsoft Brasil (011) 822 5764.

> Both intelectual property and copyright are hot issues in this subject.
>Caching a problem is actually holding a copy on your system, for all
>practical purposes.

     I guess this is really a very complex question; I, for one, believe
that caching is very different from mirroring, thus I think caching
netscape oughta be legal, but mirroring is not.

> Sorry if I sounded agressive, it is just too much work; just like all of
>us sysadmins.

Not at all.

See ya,
Nelson