Re: How do others handle multiple local domains?

From: Tom Minchin <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 22:35:54 +1000 (EST)

> Hi there
>
> We're running Internet presenses on behalf of quite a few other companies,
> and I've come across an issue I don't think has an easy answer.
>
> Running squid as our proxy cache is great, but it doesn't realise all
> these other domains are local too unless I explicitly tell it - and as we
> add domains regularly, I don't want to be editing squid.conf
> continually... All these domains are in only a few IP address ranges, so
> I could configure squid by IP address - but then doesn't that add a large
> DNS-lookup overhead? I'm not sure on that point as we are the primary NS
> for these domain - so all lookups are local - but I thought I'd ask.

We too used to add all our virtual WWW servers and locally attached networks
using "local_domain". Since we have a lot of virtuals WWWs, it was easier
to leave the networks in "local_domains" and put the single C Class of
virtual webs into local_ip.

We don't seem to have any delays (none that our users pass on to us or I
have noticed).

tom@iacom.com.au