Re: redirector in squid-1.1b4

From: Cord Beermann, Webmaster der FH Lippe <webadm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 08:28:20 +0200 (MET DST)

Hallo! Du (John Saunders) hast geschrieben:
>On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Russell Street wrote:

[proposal on round-robin redirection servers]

>I'm not sure that round robin would gain anything. Since the 1st
>redirector gets the majority of requests, it has a much higher chance of
>not being swapped out on a loaded system that uses swap. Also squid should
>only select a redirector if it's not busy, so selected one further down
>the list over the first available one doesn't gain anything.

Yes.

And without round-robin you can see from the statistics, if you have
to change the number of redirection servers (and dns-servers) to
prevent running out of servers. (What does squid do in this case? Is
it waiting for the next free server, or does it send an Error 500?
Hmmm. I'll try it...)

Cord

--
Cord Beermann, Webmaster der FH Lippe