Re: Files being cached past their expire date

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 14:31:19 +0000

On Mon 7 Oct, 1996, Oskar Pearson <oskar@is.co.za> wrote:
>This page is updated every few days, and our experiments seem to show
>that squid is not handling the tags (neither the META tag, nor the
>Last-modified tag). He got the page a few days ago, and waited for it to expire

Meta tags are not parsed by servers - only the browser uses them.
At the moment, Squid works best if servers use Expires: headers.[*]
You could also usefully configure things so that a default expires
is a percentage of the LM time - this isn't the default configuration.

-- jrg.
(* there is a module for Apache, I believe, that allows one to use
CERN's meta type files and send extra headers; or you could use an
as-is Apache file type to send an entire file, headers and all, verbatim.)