Re: The right way to approach other servers

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 19:04:31 +0000

On Mon 7 Oct, 1996, Stuart Rosewall <srosewall@moose.co.uk> wrote:
>Is there a list of available servers to which I can connect? Do they
>normally require a request to connect or post definition notification?

Some sites are listed in the cache tracker database, though I note
that most of the UK ones listed there are actually dialup hosts that
have been experimenting with cached/squid, or are academic sites.
We certainly would require you to contact us before trying to neighbour,
and others in the uk do too. It's only polite, after all, and many of
us use access lists.

As an aside, you'd want to be prepared for the ICP traffic. We currently
make (quick estimate) 300,000 a day. (though perhaps one of my neighbours
could say how close that is)

-- jrg.