Re: Neighboring woes

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 19:53:18 +0000

On Mon 7 Oct, 1996, Christian Balzer <cb@brewhq.swb.de> wrote:
>>As a maintainer of a local cache, I need *total* control over the age of
>>objects delivered to my users. Otherwise I will loose those users, to the
>>detriment of the whole cooperative system, and (what bugs me most;-)
>>through no fault of mine.
>>
>Yup, that's the reason the local caches haven't joined up in the de-cache
>hierachy yet. ^_^ And thanks for writing this all, saved me from writing
>another long email. ^_^

this (semi) ties in with something that occured to me the other
day. We have all seen the problem where an old document stays in
some cooperating caches because it goes around the 'loop', being
treated as new each time. So it would be very useful if the fetching
cache recorded what it estimated for an expiry time and communicated
that to all others.

One easy way of implementing that would be to add an Expires: header
where there isn't already one. Thoughts?

-- jrg.