Re: Always fetch from parent

From: Peter Childs <pjchilds@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 20:35:19 +0930 (CST)

In article <53encm$51o@al.imforei.apana.org.au> you wrote:

: > There are two proxies at our upstream network provider. P.Q1 and P.Q2.
: > Alternatively, the name P.Q will resolve to either one or the other,
: > distributing the load.
[cut]

: You could force all traffic to go through the upstream proxies (using
: either single parent bypass (essentially you have one parent) or inside
: firewall). You'll find that most of the traffic going direct is cgi
: scripts.

: If you are neighbo(u)ring, then misses will force your cache to go direct.
: Parenting, however, will make your parent caches retrieve the object for
: you.

: As for a cascade of parents, I've been asking for that myself :)

 I'm not quite sure what you mean by cascade'ing parents....

 In the above situation the configuration file would contain something
 like...

cache_host P.Q1 parent 3128 3130
cache_host P.Q2 parent 3128 3130
inside_firewall your.domain

 which would cause all requests to got through either of the two
 parents.

 You could alternatively "weight" your parents with something like

cache_host P.Q1 parent 3128 3130 weight=2
cache_host P.Q2 parent 3128 3130 weight=1
inside_firewall your.domain

 which would favour P.Q1 more than P.Q2

 Peter

--