Re: Squid Accelerator and virtual domains

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 13:01:24 +0000 ()

Hi,

Duane Wessels wrote:
> Somewhere between trivial and major. The Host: hack would probably
> be quite easy.

I shall check this out. I'm interested since I run an accelerator
server, rented out from a US web provider, to mirror my local domains.
So far, it's OK, with various squid processes running in the same machine.

I think the standardization of HTTP/1.1 would make this more important.

> Binding server sockets to multiple addresses requires more changes
> because various sections are written knowing there is a single HTTP
> socket and a single ICP socket.

With HTTP/1.1, and Apache 1.1.1/1.2 as its reference implementation on the
server end, I think wasting IPs this way will no longer be the Best
Current Practice. We'll also have to wait till people stop using older
browsers.

In my case though, it's worh it, since my web sites aren't accessed
directly, but rather as redirected with a "Location:" request by a
script on an Apache server which determines which is the best server
for the client to use. I might be checking out the Apache mod_rewrite,
if it could eliminate the need for an external script.

--
miguel a.l. paraz  <map@iphil.net>  http://www.iphil.net/~map/  PGP: 0x43F0D011
iphil communications:  isp/intranet design and implementation, makati city, ph