Re: A couple of questions

From: Duane Wessels <wessels>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 96 08:34:36 -0700

j@ida.interface-business.de writes:

>Hello,
>
>sorry if i'm bothering you, perhaps there's also a FAQ, but i couldn't
>find a pointer to it in the squid source.
>
>I've got squid (1.0.0, i think) running for quite some time now, and
>i'm basically happy with it. However, it seems that i've got some
>problems when it comes to abort requests where the response seems to
>be too slow. (We pay our Internet access by time, thus we cannot keep
>slow connections up for hours.) I've already enabled `quick_abort' in
>squid.conf, but since FTP requests are handled by an external process,
>it seems that ftpget keeps running nevertheless.

I think quick_abort was broken in 1.0.0. Looks like it was fixed
in 1.0.6 and then fixed again in 1.0.16.

>My questions now are: is there any way to _disable_ all external
>processes? I'm not very fond of the dnsserver processes either, since
>i think their basic task is something my own nameserver does already
>handle as well. My operating system doesn't suffer from any problems
>forking large processes, so i don't think i benefit anything (except
>perhaps a few percent of swap usage) from having `ftpget' being an
>external program. If implementing it as an internal child would help
>in aborting correctly, i'm more than happy with another solution.
>
>Did i get everything wrong? Are there any other opinions or pointers
>to docs? Thanks for all replies,

        3.5. What is the dnsserver?

        The dnsserver is a process forked from the squid process in
        order to resolve IP addresses from domain names. This is
        necessary because the gethostbyname() function blocks the
        calling process until the DNS query is resolved. Squid must
        use non-blocking I/O at all times, so DNS lookups are imple-
        mented external to the main process. The dnsservers do not
        cache DNS lookups, that is implemented inside the Squid pro-
        cess.

ftpget is implemented externally because the FTP protocol is
more complicated. I'll add a FAQ answer for that too...

Duane W.