From: Stewart Forster <slf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:23:22 +1000

Hi,

        We're currently getting very close to running out of file descriptors
for our squid process running under Solaris 2.5.1 during peak demand periods.
We have researched into the technical methods of increasing the open file
descriptor limit and found that it can be done by:

1) (From sunsolve)

        set rlim_fd_cur=<num>
        set rlim_fd_max=<num>

inside /etc/system and do a reconfig reboot. <num> is whatever we need,
currently looking at 2048.

2) (From man -3c select() )

to increase the number of file descriptors available to the fd_set() calls,
before including <sys/types.h>, do #define FD_SETSIZE <num>

        These two things alone should do it for us, but elsewhere at SunSolve
I have read that 1024 is the hard-coded internal limit for the select() library
call.

        My question is, has anyone successfully upped the 1024 limit on file
descriptors under Solaris 2.4 or 2.5 and had it work fine with squid. My other
solution is to just `bite-the-bullet-and-see' but with the large user base we
have, you can understand that this is not the friendly way to win support if
it fails. :)

        Thanks for any advice,

                Stew.

--
Stewart Forster (Security and Web Proxy Cache Administrator)
connect.com.au pty ltd, Level 9, 114 Albert Rd, Sth Melbourne, VIC 3205, Aust.