Caching the uncachable...

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:33:33 +1000 (EST)

Browsing some of our recent usage stats, I encountered something that I
was wondering if anyone else had noticed; that is, what appear to be,
"proxy URLs" - an URL that in turn allows you to obtain yet another URL.

Observe - we have numerous ICP (in this particular usage summary, anyway)
requests for the URLs:

http://webchat8.wbs.net/urlcache/08/http:!!www.longkiss.com!Geena!Images
http://webchat8.wbs.net/urlcache/8c/http:!!www.ara-animation.com!images!

Of course, if our proxy cache already contains either:

http://www.longkiss.com/Geena/Images
http://www.ara-animation.com/images/

then they would be ignored because of this "proxying URL". To me, it
seems similar to the recent discussions of how to "detect" when (say) a
file/page/whatever is being requested of site "A", yet we have the exact
same object already from site "B" so we return that instead.

"Why are some people so unkind?" - K.

Comments?

dave