Re: Accessing wwwcache.hensa using squid (fwd)

From: Arjan de Vet <devet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 20:19:26 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <199610231105.MAA03246@gizmo.lut.ac.uk> you write:

>Anyone handling more than 3 million HTTP requests a day ? :-)
>
>Martin

[...]

>The Netscape v2 was stable enough to put on all the machines.
>
>At the moment Netscape is coping well with the load put on it,
>about 2.8 million requests per day. If you know of a Squid server
>successfully handling this kind of load we would be interested to hear
>about it.

Did the architecture of the Netscape proxy-server change in version 2? Has
it become a single process server which caches metadata in memory just
like Harvest/Squid?

I've seen version 1 of the Netscape proxy-server and its architecture
looks like a CERN daemon (no caching of metadata in memory, URL's directly
translated into pathnames without hashing, etc.) but with preforked
children. The problem I had with version 1 was that performance collapsed
for large access lists (>1000 IP numbers).

Arjan