Re: Pre-fetching some URLs

From: Alessio Bragadini <alessio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:02:37 +22325614 (DFT)

Ong Beng Hui:

> I am thinking of increasing the TTL to even higher, but I risk the
> possiblity of having stale objects in the cache.

My policy is: medium TTL for "pages", high TTL for images (and movies,
archives, etc.). That's because it's not common, IMHO, that a gif file
changes frequently: most of the times, it's not referenced anymore by
a page, but the gif itself doesn't change without a change of the
name.

Therefore, a user accesses the "Net search" page at Netscape: that's
refreshed often (20% of modified-time) and maybe he will have to wait,
but the lot of tiny images (held 100% of mod-time) are almost always
in the cache, and usually when one of them is changed its name (URL)
also changes. Our savings in bytes on home.netscape.com are around
84%.

I hope I expressed it clearly (I'm not sure at all... :-) and I really
appreciate comments.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini		mailto:alessio@unipi.it
Centro SerRA		    	http://www-serra.unipi.it/~alessio