RE: Pre-fetching some URLs

From: Ong Beng Hui <ongbh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 11:35:04 +0800 (SST)

> I have seen a lot of messages where people state that their cache never
> fills. Whilst 30 Gib maybe a different league I had the same problem here,
> my cache would never fill.

Yes indeed.

> After a bit of playing around I found if I uncommented the default
> ttl_pattern (max ttl of 30 days) lines from squid.conf that my cache did
> start filling up at a more reasonable rate:
>
> #ttl_pattern ^http:// 1440 20% 43200
> #ttl_pattern ^ftp:// 10080 20% 43200
> #ttl_pattern/i \.gif$ 2880 50% 43200
> #ttl_pattern /cgi-bin/ 0 0% 43200
>
> I suspect that a lot of people who install squid, run it with the default
> configuration initially to see how things work while they get a handle on
> the operation of things. Then go back and fine tune their parameters.

"ttl_pattern ^http:// 7200 80% 10080"
"ttl_pattern ^ftp:// 10080 80% 10080"
"ttl_pattern \.gif$ 10080 80% 10080"
"ttl_pattern /cgi-bin/ 0 0% 10080"

Here's mine which is a little less agressive.
I am thinking of increasing the TTL to even higher,
but I risk the possiblity of having stale objects
in the cache.

*8)
Ong Beng Hui
ongbh@singnet.com.sg