Re: Much-wanted patch

From: Edward Henigin <ed@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 17:18:38 -0500 (CDT)

        How 'bout adding a function that gets called before or during
the log function that scans the string for non-printable characters and
prints the octal equivalent instead... This would probably take care
of the need that Dancer brings up. I don't, however, see why it is
"needed." What trouble do non-printable characters cause? If you're
paranoid about non-printable characters, I suggest you post-process
the logs with something to filter non-printables before doing anything
else with them...

        And to state more clearly what I think Dancer is asking, does
the code check for buffer overflow? Just about every security hole
that I've heard of in key system software has been caused by a buffer
overflow bug. Then again, if you're running squid as root, you're an
idiot. :)

        Ed