Re: upcoming changes to TTLs.

From: Ong Beng Hui <ongbh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 16:38:28 +0800 (SST)

> For the next 1.1 beta version I have changed the way Squid handles
> object lifetimes. Instead of calculating a TTL when the object
> enters the cache, it now checks for "freshness" or "staleness"
> when the request is made.

I think it is a great idea!

> If the object age is less than 'min', it is fresh.
> If the object expiry time has been reached, it is stale.
> If the object age is more than 'max', it is stale.

To ensure that all object is updated, min can be set
to pretty low, or even 0. So, every object requested
will be followed by a IMS request to the source.

If the object is not updated, than the cached object
will be returned to the user.

There will be a performance reduction due to the
latency time on the IMS check with the source.
But it ensure that there will not be a stale object.

I would prefer that all GET request to the source
should be a GET IMS request unless there isn't previously
cached object. I am not sure if that is the current
behaviour of Squid.

*8)
Ong Beng Hui
ongbh@singnet.com.sg