Re: ftpget 1.1.beta[789] on linux doesn't work

From: Shane Barnett <shane@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:08:33 +1100

At 12:13 PM 10/28/96 -0800, you wrote:
>ml@glink.net.hk writes:
>
>>I think there is another problem with the ftp code (not sure if
>>it is ftp.c or ftpget.c). We are running 1.0.12 and is trying to
>>upgrade to 1.0.18. After the upgrade, all ftp access failed.
>>
>>We are runing it on a Sparc 1000 with Solaris 2.4.
>>In our configuration, we have 'tcp_incoming_address' and
>>'tcp_outgoing_address' set to an alias IP address that we add
>>to the ethernet port.
>>
>>If I change the incoming and outgoing address back to the
>>0.0.0.0 default, then everything works again!
>>
>>I think the only difference between 1.0.12's and 1.0.18's ftp.c
>>is in the handling of the use of outgoing TCP address.
>>
>>I hope this help in finding out why some of us is having problem
>>with proxy ftp'ing.
>
>Can you send some indication of the error message? from the cache.log
>file or from the page you seen in the browser?
>
>Duane W.

I too have lost all access to ftp via proxy. This is for Squid 1.1b9 & 10.
Under Linux 2.0.23 On a Pentium 133. Proxy Port 8080.
Was working fine before. Looking at the cache.log, it has no mention at all
of the ftp attempt.

Just in case, ftp works fine, when not run through the proxy.

It also appears that reload is failing. It now only works with a shift reload
in Netscape.

This is the Error message i receive:

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL:
ftp://www.nlanr.net/Software/Squid/squid-1.1.beta

The following FTP error was encountered:

     www.nlanr.net (port 21): (2) No such file or directory

This means that:

    A network socket error occurred. Please try again.

Generated Wednesday, 30-Oct-96 05:50:27 GMT, by
squid-ftpget/1.1.beta10@pbm.net.au

Shane.