Squid on BSDI xmalloc errors

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 00:53:46 -0500

I am having a big problem with xmalloc erring out... Squid will crash
hourly, sometimes even more, with errors "FATAL xmalloc: unable to allocate
xxx bytes". I have seen 1024, 2048, and 4096 bytes in place of xxx in that
error. Does anyone know of a patch/work around/fixit/src tweak/etc that can
fix this? It is a big problem with Squid restarting all the time. I know
this isn't the fault of Squid itself since my Linux-based Squid machine runs
for days and days without any errors while the BSDI machine is crashing like
crazy.

I have noticed that it is more prone to crashing during periods of heavy
use. Any ideas? Suggestions?

        -Bill kb8wyp

   * <*> Bill Wichers, kb8wyp, billw@waveform.net <*> *
  * **** Waveform Technology UNIX System Administrator *
 * * * *
* * * packet: kb8wyp@n8nnn.#semi.mi.usa.noam *
 * * * http://www.waveform.net/bill/ *
  * **** *
   * "SONET, ATM, and Microwave... The solutions for Speed" *