problem starting squid in background mode on Sun running SunOS 4.1.4

From: Craig Dewick <cdewick@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 10:46:43 +1100 (EST)

Hi,

I'm trying to install and set up squid (1.1.beta12) on a Sun machine running
SunOS 4.1.4, and I'm having some difficulty with firing squid off into
background mode.

If I invoke squid manually from the command line, it works ok. If I try to
start it up in the background with '/usr/local/squid/bin/squid &', it fails
during the DNS test phase.

I'm trying to start it up at boot time from /etc/rc.local, and if I don't
send it off to the background, it works, but of course the rc.local script
never exits so the machine doesn't finish booting up. If I start it in the
background from rc.local, the DNS tests fail again.

Here's what I've put into /etc/rc.local:

#
# start the HTTP cache server
#
if [ -f /usr/local/squid/bin/squid ]; then
        /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -s & echo 'starting http cache daemon.'
fi

This causes the system to boot up fine, except squid dies when the DNS tests
fail.

If I change it to:

#
# start the HTTP cache server
#
if [ -f /usr/local/squid/bin/squid ]; then
        /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -s ; echo 'starting http cache daemon.'
fi

This works, but the rc script never exits, so the machine doesn't come up
completely.

For now, I'm using default port numbers, with the only config file changes
being to set up the parent proxy server, as well as domains, etc. The parent
proxy server uses port 8080 for proxy requests, but until I get squid to
work on my server here without failing when I send it to the background I
won't change the defaults.

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Regards,

Craig.