Re: Which version

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 22:31:20 +0000

At 22:33 21/11/96 +0100, david@isdnet.net wrote:
>I'd like to have anyone's opinion on which version if Squid I should use
>on a very operational proxy/cache.
>
>Currently I run squid 1.0.5 (comes with BSD/OS).
>Behaviour seems correct, quite stable, although it seems to core sometimes
>when it gets too big.
[snip]
> Total Accounted = 34955 KB
>And top reports:
> 9829 root 2 4 69M 68M sleep 28:15 4.35% 4.35% squid
>
>Is this difference common ?

What it probably means is that your malloc implementation is suspect. Try
compiling with GNU malloc instead. I looked in the ChangeLog, and there
doesn't appear to be any memory leak fixes, but upgrading may help anyhow if
there's something I've missed.

This malloc issue really should be in the FAQ (could someone who knows more
about the issues than me submit something to squid-faq@nlanr.net please
before the list goes nuts hearing this problem). Also, the FAQ is not
complete and the bit I wrote is already out of date with respect to 1.1, but
still perhaps it should be bundled with the distribution in the doc/ directory?

>Any advice on a more recent version, as stable, and with new features or
>increased performances ?

Squid 1.1beta20 is very stable AFAICT (I've been using it now on a site of
200 people since it came out), and its much faster and better than 1.0.

Jonathan L.
Origin IT Services Ltd., 323 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, England.
Tel: +44 (1223) 423355 Fax: +44 (1223) 420724 E-mail: guess...
-------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]------
These opinions are all my own fault.