Re: What's the best configuration for this setup?

From: John Saunders <john@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 11:57:45 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> Well, e.g. on linux the buffer is 64K which is more than a little, or if you
> want squid to interrogate the size, then I'm not convinced there is a
> portable way (its the TIOCINQ ioctl on linux).

I don't think 64K of data is a problem, on a 64K ISDN link that would
saturate the link for 8 seconds, after the initial 8 seconds the transfer
would be throttled. I think the real problem is the 8 Meg files like MSIE
and Netscape, that saturate a link for 20 minutes or more.

This problem of files being downloaded to the proxy at full ISDN speeds,
then more slowly being fed to the client is caused by the proxy. In the
old pre-proxy days the WWW server would send a TCP window full of data
flat out to the client and the connection would be throttled. If Squid
emulated this, then we would have the best of the old as well as the best
of the new.

Cheers.
        . | John Saunders - mailto:john@nlc.net.au (EMail) |
    ,--_|\ | - http://www.nlc.net.au/ (WWW) |
   / Oz \ | - 018-223-814 or 02-9477-2881 (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/ | NHJ NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS - Supplying a professional, |
         v | and above all friendly, internet connection service. |