Re: Squid just die every day

From: Peter Wemm <peter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 07:35:59 +0800

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> At 07:51 27/11/96 -0600, Alberto de Poo wrote:
> >I donīt know what is wrong, but one thing seem very extrange, the Process
> >Size value, keep growing and growing:
> >
> >Resource usage for squid:
> > CPU Time: 39 seconds (22 user 17 sys)
> > CPU Usage: 0%
> > Process Size: rss 58752 KB
> > Page faults with physical i/o: 0
> >
> >I have a FreeBSD 2.1, in a Pentium 60 with 64MB Ram. I configure Squid to
> >10 dnsservers, 600 MB disk cache and 16MB Ram use.
>
> Is there a section about mallinfo() and what it returns? I believe FreeBSD
> is meant to be one of the ones with a buggy malloc() implementation.

FreeBSD 2.1.x uses the 4.4BSD malloc, which has the same origins as the one
in perl. It's not buggy as such, it's just not very efficient with it's
memory resources and appears to be vulnerable to fragmentation or something.
The system ships with libgnumalloc as well, it's preferable to use that.
Try: env LIBS=-lgnumalloc ./configure .....

In FreeBSD 2.2 the malloc was replaced with a high performance malloc that
is far more efficient than the standard malloc, especially while paging.
It is also faster than libgnumalloc was.

To confuse the issue even more, FreeBSD 1.x had gnumalloc as libmalloc. If
you install the 1.x compatability shared libraries, the compiler can
successfully link with -lmalloc, but this is a very old library and caused
problems since it uses old system calls.

Cheers,
-Peter