Re: fix(?) for Solaris 2.5, running out of filedescriptors.

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 23:50:18 GMT

At 10:32 28/11/96 -0800, Joe St Sauver wrote:
>Related entries that may also help performance for some applications (like
>INN) are
>
>* increase directory name lookup cache (per Sun Performance and Tuning,

Although Sun won't admit it for obvious reasons, in a DNS-only environment,
as you are likely to be using, there are many advantages to turning OFF
nscd, and using BIND on the machine instead - preferably one of the new ones
rather than the prehistoric ones Sun supplied up until recently. Latest is
4.9.5 - get it while its hot. It does caching, and does it properly. If
anyone wants to know why, it was discussed on bind-users many months ago, so
if its archived look there as I can't remember all the details.

Actually, I believe the bugs^H^H^H^Hmis-features in nscd are most horrible
when in a mixed environment, as nis doesn't have a concept of ttl's.

Jonathan L.
Origin IT Services Ltd., 323 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, England.
Tel: +44 (1223) 423355 Fax: +44 (1223) 420724 E-mail: guess...
-------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]------
These opinions are all my own fault.